Tuesday 3 September 2013

Summer vacation!




Cor and I decided it was time to try a different place for our summer vacation this year. In previous summers we have opted for the B.C. holiday, packing up the family and heading west was the norm for us.
This summer we decided to take a trip out to Farragut  park in Idaho state. It was a different venue which is what we were all craving.

We drove out to  Cranbrook Saturday morning andhad planned to stay the balance of the weekend as, we weren't booked into Farragut until Monday morning. It was a nice stopover that had us going swimming at the local pool and afterwards myself getting some great riding in at the Community forest area. or better known as the trail system that sports the "six in the stix" race course.
It's a great trail system and very well groomed, the temps were in the high 20's and low 30's and I was enjoying myself.






Monday trailer hooked up and on the road to Farragut, which is surprisingly closer than you think. A 4hr drive from Crannie, (not counting the border delay) and we rolled into the park ready to have some summer fun.

Lot's of swimming and and a couple of trips to Silverwood park, I had the great fortune to find a bike shop in Hayden just outside Coer d alene, that was able to service me with some new cables,housing and a few water bottles. Even more importantly they were able to describe in great detail (which turned out to be my favorite training course) Bernard's peak.  Bernard's peak trail is a 8mile hill climb course that gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500'vert gain by the time you reach the top/finish of the trail. Then it's back down the same trail to the bottom with some sweet flowy fast riding. A typical out and back lap (according to the local guide) was just under 3hours.


I was throwing down some multi lap day's with some other trails in the area for some fun.


  I figure I was getting close to being ready for my next event in Montana, 2weeks away from then.

I can't say enough about Farragut, lots of kids to for Zach to play with lot's of bike riding for him, including some night rides with my light kit. He was a pretty popular dude with the other kids when he would set the light on "strobe"and they would all ride laps at the campground.












Some highlights of this vaca, included :
great family time, great food, some great IPA's,  and met some really nice people.

Some lowlights from this vaca, included:
wasp's were nuts and aggressive, me sitting on a wasp, me riding in excess of 6okm/h and having a bee fly inside my open jersey and sting me just to the left of my right nipple, Even better having the  bee deciding to hide in the front of my jersey for later fun.
Me meeting one  not so nice person.
Otherwise all good, coming back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment